Friday, May 3, 2013

Machine Quilting With Kimono Silk Threads From Superior Threads

IMG_2821This is the last thread I will be talking about quilting with unless I purchase something new.  This is Kimono Silk Thread by Superior Threads.  It is a 100 wt. thread that is made from long silk filaments.  This thread is the same weight as the YLI silk thread so is very comparable to it.IMG_2565Silk thread is just luscious and so very shiny.  It is very pretty when stitched out on the quilt sample and since it is the lighter weight silk thread it results in a fine line of stitching.  The backtracking doesn’t show and this would make a wonderful thread for quilting heavily in the background of a quilt as it would not build up so much thread. 

Using my Bernina 730 (old model), BSR and a stitch length of 2.0 I didn’t have to adjust the tension off of the default of 4.0.  I used a 14 quilting needle on this sample that has some sort of cotton batting in the middle. (more of those batting scraps that are not marked)  I used Bottom Line from Superior Threads in the bobbin and it paired nicely with this silk thread.

This thread was a joy to stitch with and would use it again.  I would however consider the size of the project and the amount of thread I needed to use as it is a little pricy.  This would be a lovely thread for hand applique as well.

Lynn

1 comment:

Superior Threads said...

Great series of thread-related posts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...