Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Machine Quilting with Masterpiece 2 ply Thread by Superior Threads

IMG_2165I used a spool of Masterpiece 2 ply thread cotton thread by Superior Threads to quilt this sample.  I have just learned that Superior Threads is now going to be making this thread as a 3 ply thread but will have some of the 2 ply for sale too - probably not as many colors or just certain colors.  The 2 ply is a 50 weight but don’t know what the 3 ply thread weight is.  I read the thinking was to make this thread a bit stronger so that is why they added a strand to the thread.  It is a bit weak and will break with a snap if it has too much stress put on it.  It is great for applique though. IMG_2164 I did use it to quilt this sample and it had a nice light look and blended into the fabric.  I used a 12 topstitch needle, 3.25 tension and 2.0 stitch length using my Bernina 730 with the BSR (Bernina Stitch Length.)  I used Bottomline thread by Superior Threads in the bobbin and the batting was Mountain Mist White Rose 100% cotton batting

This cotton thread was really smooth with very little lint.  It will be nice to quilt where you want the quilting to fade more into the background but not on a quilt with high stress like a bed quilt.  I would restrict it to use on wall hangings or miniatures unless you get the 3 ply variety. 
Until Later,
Lynn

1 comment:

Pieced Brain Quilt Designs said...

First timer at your blog! I think the new thread will be of the same weight, and I am glad it will be stronger. I love the colors but it does break all the time... My Bernina and I sometimes run out of patience with it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...