Thursday, March 31, 2011

Sweet Remembrance

IMG_1433
Sweet Remembrance 14 1/4” x 14 3/4”
Sweet Remembrance - the name I finally chose for this miniature.  As I promised here is a photo of the quilt all finished and with a name.  I had a long list of names I thought of or pieces and parts of the suggestions I got from you for names but nothing was quite right.  I really liked the word Cameo but couldn’t quite get it to roll off my tongue with the combinations I had come up with. 

The flowers in this piece are supposed to be Primroses and Periwinkles and when looking up flower names and what they mean the name for my quilt jumped out at me.  The meaning of the periwinkle flower on the web page I found said it meant “sweet remembrance”.  It hit me as the perfect name for this quilt.  Doesn’t that sound pretty? 
IMG_1448
I don’t always agonize over the naming of my quilts but do like to choose a name with meaning.  Almost like naming a child or naming a pet…it just has to sound right and fit.  I usually think of the name for a quilt as I am making it so when it is finished I have the name ready but not this time.  Maybe it was because it took so long  to get it done.  I started this quilt way back in the spring of 2009 when I was also making 2 others with the same center basket - to see all three flower baskets click on April 4, 2009.  The other two quilts were finished that spring and given away to be auctioned off for the Nebraska Cattlemen's Ball (raise money to fight cancer) and the Nebraska State Quilt Guild.

I do love the way this quilt turned out but of course there are always things I want to change….want to put that dark purple fabric on the outer edge to pull the dark color to the outside, be a little more precise on the mitered corners, etc.  Think that there are always things I could improve on with every quilt but this one is done and I will work on the next one to make it better I guess.

Now off to start a new project on this damp misty morning.

Lynn

Note:  The photos are much clearer and sharper when you click on them....don't know why they show up as fuzzy in the blog.

4 comments:

Geta Grama said...

What a beautiful quilt, Lynn! I admire your patience to applique at that scale.
The name fits perfectly with the quilt.
The piping in binding is fabulous, and looks as beautiful as the one you added on my miniature, do you remember it?

A great piece of art!

Stitches said...

Gorgeous miniature quilt. You did a wonderful job on it. It is so hard to realize the smallness of it through a picture, hope to see it in person someday somewhere.

Nicky said...

A great quilt deserves a great name and now it's got one!

tich said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! What a talent!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...