Sunday, January 30, 2011

Broken Knitting Needles

When I was finishing up the yellow dishcloth the tips broke off of both knitting needles on the circular set of needles I was using.  The needle on the left is one of the needles with the tip broken off - the one on the right is a the same brand needle but different size needle with the tip intact.
I dug these 12" straight needles out of my knitting stuff and used them to finish the yellow dishcloth.  I don't like using these long needles as I am always hitting the arms of my chair with them.  They are very awkward to hold and knit while sitting in my recliner.
 When I was in Hastings the other day I purchased a better set of circular needles - the ones on the right in the photo.  The old broken needles were size 7 but the new ones I purchased are size 6.  I have found that size numbers on knitting needles are not universal so the sales clerk measured the ones I had been using with a plastic needle sizer that had holes of the different sizes - must have been the sizes of these Addi Turbo needles.  Anyway my 7s were a little smaller than the 7 Addi Turbo and a little larger than the 6 Addi Turbo.  Since I knit loose at times I decided to purchase the size 6.

These needles are really slick so are very easy to knit on.  They are more expensive to buy too costing around $16.  Don't remember what the Balene II cost but think it was in the $5 to $7 range but if they break after using them for a while it is not worth the cost.  I have made quite a few dishcloths with the set that broke but will enjoy these new slick metal ones for years.

Until Later,
Lynn




3 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

I've broken circulars before, but at the join of the cable to the needle. Like a broken needle tip, there is not much you can do to fix that problem. I hope you like the Addi Turbos. I have several pairs. My problem is that I can not use ANY metal (cheap or expensive) because I clutch and that makes my hands ache. I don't seem to have that problem with wood or bamboo.

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

I had no idea the different brands were different sizes. Must have gotten that idea from clothing manafacturers...Sharyn

Anonymous said...

Well I jsut LOVE my Addi Turbos and I think that they are worth the few extra dollars in the long run and the yarn works pretty smoothly. I hope you 2 contine to enjoy them.
Dish Cloths are a great small project and yours look really nice. I have the same problem with the final corner so I can't help there.
Carol

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...