Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Split Nine Patch - Hippo Trails

Here is the finished Split 9 Patch quilt I have been working on since last fall.  It is all machine stitched except the back of the binding which I finished hand stitching down on Saturday night.  It's name is "Hippo Trails" and is 53" x 64" - a lap quilt size for covering up on the couch.













I did do a feather design in the outside border - guess I have a one track mind and I can do feathers pretty easily so went with what works.

Now I know you are all are wondering how I got that name but if you look at the backing you might figure it out.  Look carefully at one of the fabrics on the left side towards the top - yes it has hippopotamus on it, thus the name.  As you can see I pieced the backing from several different fabrics, wanted to use up some of what I had on hand and these all worked well together I thought.

Got to get busy on another quilt today.  Our guild challenge this year is to use 25 yards of fabric from our stash and that means finished projects.  I am up to 20 yards so pulled another wallhanging top from my UFO box and will try to get it quilted and bound by next Thursday so I can meet the challenge.  You might not hear much from me before then since I will be busy quilting besides the other things that life throws at me.

Lynn

6 comments:

SewCalGal said...

Beautiful. Looks so comfy!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

cottonreel said...

nice colours , nice pattern---cottonreel

Elaine Adair said...

Your quilting is lovely. Nested teardrops are perfect for that border and your feather outer border is better than lovely. It appears you did both sides of the feather during same pass? I don't see a spine. I want to do my next one like yours!!!! 8-)))

Lynn said...

A reply to Elaine's question...

Actually I quilted the curvy center line that I had marked on the quilt with chalk first. Then I quilted the inside feather, echo quilted about a 1/4" outside of it after the feathers were done, then did the outside feathers then echo quilted them. I did the feathers free hand and just filled the space as I quilted, trying to keep them looking like they flowed from the center line. I have a harder time quilting marked feathers than free handing them so that is how I do them most of the time.

To make my curve come out I measured the distance and divided it into even sections, drew a gentle curve then cut it out of stiff paper. Marked the curve with the chalk pencil as I went around the quilt. The sides had a different curve than the ends - one was slightly longer to make it fit.

tich said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I love the colours!! What wadding/batting do you use?

Angela said...

very pretty Lynn! Did you do that quilting free motion? That's awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...