Thursday, May 6, 2010

One Step At A Time

Thomas A. Edison
I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward. 
 Peter A. Cohen
There is no one giant step that does it. It's a lot of little steps. 
Jack Penn
One of the secrets of life is to make stepping stones out of stumbling blocks. 
 Barbara Bush
You don't just luck into things as much as you would like to think you do. You build step by step, whether it is friendships or opportunities. 


I am getting my split 9 patch done little by little, step by step.  The small one inch border is finished now and next is the last wider border that is 5".  You can see the chalk marks still on the border where I quilted these nested teardrop shapes.  I marked an X at every inch and tried to make them all that size.  The X is marked in the center so it gives me a place to aim for and did work pretty well.  As you can see everything is not all exactly the same but over all when you look at the entire border you don't see those inconsistencies. 


I had a comment on how well I quilt .... well, I hate to admit it but that is because I take photos of the best parts.  What you don't see are the wobbles and places that could be better.  For instance this photo shows what I cropped out of the first photo.  Will I take this out?  Probably not, as you really can't see it and this is a "for fun" quilting project, not a show quilt.

I use the BSR  (Bernina Stitch Regulator) on my Bernina 730 machine so that keeps the stitches even, now if I can just keep my driving smooth.  Sometimes it works well and other times I am all over the place.  Any of you that have the BSR, what stitch length do you use?  Do you change stitch length for different weights of thread, different projects?  On this quilt I am quilting with Sulky 30 wt. thread, using a 90 topstitch needle and stitch length of 2.

Have been doing my PT exercises pretty regular until yesterday when I had a Dr. apt. and then went plant/flower shopping and didn't get home until 3 pm.  I got lazy and only did the exercises a couple of times and today I am paying for it.  My shoulder is aching and the exercises didn't go as well first thing this morning so guess I had better be more diligent.  Am trying to keep from having surgery so had better put my best effort into the PT - right?

Will keep plugging away, step by step, whether it is quilting or physical therapy!

Lynn

1 comment:

Elaine Adair said...

I am sooo jealous of your lovely nested teardrops - wow - they look good!!! Can't answer your questions as I don't have a stitch regulator. Tired one for a while and it drove me crazy - I was always trying to out-think it! Duhhh

Keep showing us your progress - these photos are very nice!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...