Saturday, May 15, 2010

Nine Patch Friends

A few years ago, 3 friends and I went to visit another friend in Denver.  While there we went to see an exhibit of Amish quilts from the collection of Faith and Stephen Brown at the Denver Art Museum.  We were all fascinated by the "Nine Patch Crib Quilt" so decided to do an exchange of 9 patch blocks and see what we all could come up with.  Our only rules, if I remember them right were to make 5 blocks of 6 different solids for each person in the group.  There were 5 of us so that was a lot of blocks.  We were to use solid black in the same position and the finished blocks were to be 3".  A couple of the gals threw in a zinger or two which was fun.  I made extra blocks and remember I didn't use all the blocks I had - have no idea how many 9 patch blocks ended up in the quilt.

I finally got my top pieced together a couple years ago then ended up putting it my stack of UFOs as I didn't know how I was going to quilt it.  I did have fun arranging the blocks and love the light squares floating in the middle of the quilt. Three of the gals got their's pieced and quilted right away, don't know about the last gal but here I am getting mine finished now.

I pulled it out this last week and am working on machine quilting it now.  Have to get it finished by Thursday so it can count towards my 25 yards used for our guild challenge this year.

Happy Quilting,
Lynn

4 comments:

Michele said...

I'm a huge fan of Amish quilts. I think that's a fabulous setting, and the subtle scrappy effect shimmers.

Geta Grama said...

This quilt is FABULOUS !
I can't believe it's made only from 9 patch blocks because it looks complicated ! I can't wait to see it finished ! Too bad you kept it in the UFO box until now !

Chris said...

Lynn, it's gorgeous! I can't wait to see how you quilt it.

Paula, the quilter said...

That is a stunning quilt!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...