Sunday, May 2, 2010

Machine Quilting the Split 9 Patch

I have been working slowly at getting my split 9 patch quilt machine quilted.  I can't spend too much time all at once doing the machine quilting as I have trying to deal with the physical therapy and not stressing my shoulder.  I am doing physical therapy here at home 6 to 7 times a day and going twice a week to PT so far anyway.  I did wait to go to PT until after I got back from Paducah and my therapist wanted to know why I waited a week to come in after I saw the Dr.  Of course he just didn't understand the importance of the Paducah trip but I filled him in of course.  Even though the exercises only take about 15 minutes each time it adds up to a lot of time at the end of the day.
 
I am feeling much better after I do the PT and am feeling better each day.  I can move my arm so much better and farther without pain and the pain has gone down tremendously.  I sure am praying that I don't have to have surgery on this shoulder as I have been through that before on my left shoulder and don't want to do it again if I can help it.

Ok, back to the quilt - this has been fun to machine quilt so far.  I am quilting feathers on each of the light and dark diagonal strips across the quilt. The feathers on the light go towards one end and the dark towards the other.   I thought I was being so smart to quilt the light strips with light thread and the dark with a dark thread but will think twice if I do that again.
Can you think what the problem might be?  Well, to keep everything flat I have to change thread after each strip instead of skipping over and continuing.  Thank goodness I have a needle threader on the machine as it takes no time to thread the needle.  I am using the titanium size 14/90 topstitch needle and it is working really well, I am impressed with it so far.

Working on the small green first border right now then need to get an idea for the outside purple border.  Am thinking I will just do another feather design as I can do those pretty well now.  Sometimes my stitching is a little wobbly but am not thinking I will enter this piece in any shows so am just going with the flow and leaving those wobbles.

On to bed now for me.  I have been nurse maid to John today - hubby has some sort of flu bug and has run a temp. all day and stayed in bed sleeping most of the time until 3 this afternoon.  He never sleeps or stays in bed past early morning so knew he felt bad today.  I think he was sick yesterday too but would not admit it until last night.  He was pushing to get the last of the corn planted which he did and was not going to stop even though he felt lousy.  I do have to qualify that as the sweet corn isn't planted yet but know it will be soon.  Of course he has to prep. the fields and plant the soybeans yet soon.

Happy Quilting,
Lynn

1 comment:

tich said...

Quilt looks great. Wish I could quilt like that. My shoulder is playing up too and I was at PT on Monday.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...