Wednesday, September 2, 2009

State Fair Quilts

Today is going to be a fun day. Five of my friends and I will travel to Lincoln to help in the quilt department of the Nebraska State Fair. We have done this for many, many years and look forward to getting a chance to help out plus the added bonus of spending time with the many wonderful quilts on display.

There are more quilts on display at the State Fair this year than for many years. This year there are 456 quilts entered from 177 quilters. I entered one quilt and have learned it got a first place ribbon. Will get a photo of it and others. Will post some of the winning or quits that catch my eye.

This is going to be a nostalgic fair for me and a lot of people. The fair is being moved to Grand Island next year. Won't get into a discussion about all the politics of the move but it is the last year. The fair has been in this location since it started. My mother showed at this fairgrounds, I showed, our daughters showed and our granddaughter has an exhibit on display this year too.

Grand Island is working hard to get everything ready for next year and I am sure it will be nice but not the same. We plan to attend support the new venue but will miss the old one which always brings back great memories of years past.

John and I will be going back on Sunday, like always and I plan to take lots of photos of buildings, streets, activities, etc. These photos will preserve those memories or at least trigger memories. I want to make a CD of those photos for my mother so she can stroll down her own memories.

She really would like to go this year but just is not able to anymore. My brothers and sisters and I did get mom to the State Fair in 2005 and we all had a good time and she enjoyed seeing everything again but it really wore her out.

Until Later,
Lynn

1 comment:

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Hi Lynn,
I couldn't resist leaving a comment. It's been at least 40 years since I've been to the NE state fair. I grew up on a wheat farm near Sidney and my brothers still farm there. My hubby and I both graduated from Chadron (1978)and are now in Tennessee. Your pictures remind me of how much I miss horizons! Too many trees:(
I'm now a follower of your blog and hope to get some good quilting tips!

Vicki

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...