Saturday, August 8, 2009

State Fair Entry

I only had one thing to enter in the Nebraska State Fair this year. It is the quilt I call "Waiting for Halloween". I finished it last September and to see a photo of it click on the link here.

It will seem strange not to have any miniatures entered but the three I finished this year were all donation quilts. One was donated to the Nebraska Cattlemen's Ball, one to NSQG fund raiser a couple of weeks ago and the other was donated to our guild for the miniature quilt auction back in April.

My group of friends plan to white glove one day at the State Fair too. It is always fun to spend time with the quilts and visiting with people looking at the exhibit. We have been volunteering for many years and so far everyone still wants to do it each year.

This is the last year the State Fair will be in Lincoln. I have mixed feelings about the move to Grand Island. I grew up showing livestock and other 4-H projects at the fair in Lincoln so will miss the ambiance of the fairgrounds - brings back so many memories of happy times when I go into the buildings and walk down the streets of the grounds.

I will support the fair in Grand Island though. The fair was going to be moved no matter what as the University of Nebraska wanted that piece of property and the buildings were all needing very expensive repairs. It all came down to money. I hope Nebraskans give the new location a chance and support it like they have supported the fair being in Lincoln. It won't be the same but new traditions can be formed.

Lynn

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...