Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Wishing, Hoping and Dreaming of Sewing.....

No sewing for me for such a long time and it may be a while yet before my time is my own. My time has been spent going to reunions, keeping up with the yard work, having company, company and more company. We have attended birthday parties for the granddaughters, kept them for a week and now this week I am keeping my grandsons.

One of the things that fascinated the little girls (ages nearly 8 and 9) were the tree frogs that have decided to come live on and around our house. Up until a few years ago we never saw such frogs anywhere around here. Last year I think we saw only 3 or 4 but this year their must have been a population explosion!

Here is a photo I took of one sitting on the brick of our house. To give you an idea of how big they are the light gray is the mortar between the bricks that is about 1/2" wide. This frog is kind of striped but we have seen green ones and tan ones and some that have been really light. We believe they can change color somewhat as we know one that looked tan/brown was green later when we were looking at it.

This one is sitting on the top of the porch light and is rather green in appearance. We counted up to 18 on one side of the house at a time about a month ago. There don't seem to be quite so many right now though.
The photo above shows 4 of them sitting on the downspout as it angles towards the house . Most of the time we only see them in the evening or at night. During the daytime they just disappear. We looked and looked for them and couldn't figure out where they went but one night just as it was getting dark I looked at the very top of the brick where the sofit joins it on the underside of the roof overhang and there I saw a whole row of the tiny frogs peeking out. There is just a small crack of space between the two and they must just back in. We have also found them squeezed between the downspout and the wall of the house and behind my welcome sign I have hung beside the back door.

They are really cute, fascinating and fun to watch. Most evenings there are one or two on any window where the room lights are on. The lights attract the bugs so it is a good place for the little frogs to have lunch.

They move very quickly too. They can run along the bricks or hop sideways and cover a lot of ground fast. You can see from the photos below that one is sitting on the edge of the window (photo taken from outside) and the other photo is of one of the little frogs taken from the inside of my sewing room as it sits on the window waiting for a bug to arrive for dinner.
John and I have been just as fascinated with them as the little kids. Last week as I was heading out of the house about 9 I had just entered our back hall way and one of the little frogs jumped (plopped) on the floor right in front of me. It scared the "pajeebas" out of me! You know "pajeebas" is really not a word but one I made up, but you get the idea.

After I let out a scream I realized what it was and tried to shoo it towards the door. It moved along pretty good until I got close to the door then it jumped on the wall, then the floor, then the hall tree and back and forth. I couldn't get it out as it moved so fast.

After I ran my errand to pick up John from the field and we got home the little frog was sitting right in front of the storm door waiting to get out. So glad as I wasn't sure how I was going to get it out of the house.

Happy Summertime,
Lynn

1 comment:

Elaine Adair said...

What's with those frogs? I never heard of such an explosion. Yep, cute to watch, but I wouldn't want to step on one! 8-(

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...