Friday, August 15, 2008

Grandma Duty - Miniature Quilt

No, I didn't fall off the face of the earth the last couple of weeks. I don't know where the time went last week but this week we have had our two grandson's here for a visit. We had them for 3 days and nights and now this grandma is TIRED! The boys are 2 1/2 and 5 1/2 and very active. Of course I couldn't trust the younger one so I was constantly following him around and had to be outside when he was, plus all the cooking. (Don't cook that much for just John and myself anymore) There are just too many things on the farm that can be dangerous. Anyway they left to go home this morning so it is nice and quiet this evening as I write this. I bet their parents were not used to the quite the last 3 days either and it probably felt like a mini-vacation to them.

I met two friends this morning and we took our quilts to Lincoln to check them in to the State Fair. That didn't take too long so our next adventure was to go to the International Quilt Study Center. One of the gals had never been there and the Nancy Crow exhibit was due to close this weekend and we wanted her to see the fantastic building and the exhibit of the centers quilts plus Nancy's quilts.

We finished off our time in Lincoln by going to Hancock's to have one gals scissors sharpened. We happened to catch a day where there were a lot of items at 50% off. I had looked at the rotating cutting boards before but with the discount I decided to get one. Think it will be really handy sitting beside my sewing machine.

Since I have done no sewing the last two weeks you get to look at another miniature quilt I made a few years ago for one of the doll beds in my collection. This quilt I named "Crazy Ties". The 1" center blocks were designed on the computer and paper pieced from old neck ties. Each piece is outlined with a blanket/buttonhole stitch using gold thread. The center of the quilt is tied and the border is quilted. I had seen a large antique crazy quilt once with gold fringe so decided to try and find some to add to the edges of this quilt. Found some 3" fringe so had to cut it down to 1/2". The pillows are monogrammed with my DH and my initials. That was really an after thought when I was teasing him about it. The more I thought about it, it seamed like a good addition to the pillows. The second photo shows a ruler laying on the top of the quilt.

Maybe next week I will have something new to show.

Lynn

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...