Saturday, April 12, 2008

Anniversary Party & Miniature Quilt

Today was an especially fun day. My husband and I attended a surprise 25th anniversary party this afternoon for some friends hosted by their two sons. It came off as a good surprise and the boys did a good job getting the food arranged and getting their parents to the party. The parents had no idea so that made it more fun.

Since I have done no quilting today I will post a photo of a miniature quilt I finished after Christmas this year. I call it "Three in a Row." The flower blocks are 1" square and the entire thing is machine pieced and quilted. It doesn't seem quite balanced but after ripping a few times I didn't want to chance it again. I was trying for an asymetrical look but it just isn't quite right.

The little flying geese are only about 1/8" deep and 1/4" wide and the quilt is 5 1/2" x 7 1/2". Oops! You can still see the white markings from the pencil I used to mark the quilting lines - must remember to get that removed!

To make the leaves I foundation pieced the leaf sections then reverse appliqued them to the background. The stems were reverse appliqued as well - this was all done with the mock hand applique method by machine. The quilt was planned and drawn in EQ6 where I do a lot of my designing. I printed the foundation pieced blocks from that program too.

I added a 1/8" folded piece of green fabric inside the binding before I stitched the binding to the quilt - like the spark it gave the outside edge.

Lynn

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Lynn,

Thank you for your nice comment about my quilt.

I love your pieced miniature.I can't wait to make one myself.

For shadow trapunto quilts, I layer batting , organza and the paper with pattern and stitch the motifs with water soluble thread through these 3 layers.
For miniature quilts it's a must to use water soluble thread in the bobbin, too.
If you want more information, please give me your email address.
Go to my site, www.RomanianQuiltStudio.com, and in the bottom of the page you will find my email address.

Happy quilting,
Geta from Romania

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...